How to break into the Hollywood movie industry? Take acting classes, move to Los Angeles, get an agent, etc. But most importantly get a perfect headshot! Firstly, you need to know the dos and don’ts of headshot wardrobe to look as professional as possible. Not everyone knows what agents and casting directors want to see, or what kind of headshot looks can capture casting directors’ attention.
Here are some dos and don’ts I have written down to help my clients, especially the emerging actors to look their best for the headshot.
- Wear comfortable clothes that make you feel awesome.
- Press your clothes to give them new look.
- Bring specific clothing as a headshot wardrobeto create various characters.
- Bring glasses.
- Black is often a good option.
- Wear darker clothes to attract more attention on your face and eyes.
- Solid colors are perfect.
- Wear blue to accentuate your blue eyes, green for green, turquoise for hazel.
- A suit or jacket are an excellent choice for men wishing to look more professional.
- Pay attention to details in your headshot wardrobe. Layers, ties, belts are the inseparable part of the headshot wardrobe.
- Bring a variety of shirts or blouses with various necklines to see what works for the shape of your face. Trust your photographer with this.
- Have a few extra outfits so the photographer can choose what looks right on you at the shoot.
- Create unique personality but don’t be too eccentric. Too much uniqueness might be impressive however the agents and casting directors may not know what to do with you.
Note: Headshot wardrobe change is not just a different shirt of a different color. It should create a new character.